Thursday, April 5, 2012

Just another day in paradise..if you don't count the machete attack!

 February 27, 2012

Hey Guys!  How is everything going.  Things are pretty much the same here as far as the work is concerned.  Two really old people died and that pretty much kills missionary work because everyone is "busy" or gone.

So onto the real eventful part of the week. I still have to remind myself that it actually did happen.  Sooo it was friday, late in the day, almost dusk.  We were going to see the Branch President to ask if we could work out at his house the next morning.  (In Chuuk we finish proselyting at 6:00pm because it gets dark and dangerous)  It was pretty close to six.  We stop at an Ute near his house.  Ute's are kind of like picnic shelters at parks, but smaller.  We started talking to the Branch Presidents daughter, an investigator, and a bunch of children.  While I was talking to them, Elder Blauser was called over by another one of our investigators.  I could still hear and see him, so no worries right.  I asked the Branch Presidents daughter a question, and she was halfway through her answer when she switched and started speaking really fast as something hit the sand next to me.  They all got up and ran!  I turned around expecting to see two drunk guys shooting slingshots at one another.  What I saw instead was one man walking.  A member who was a bit less active that we had been working with.  No slingshot or anything.  I still figured it best to leave when I felt a tug on the back of my pants.  A little girl was sitting behind me trying to ask a question.  I immediately thought "Dang, it what about her?" I started to tell her "Let's go"  When I got pushed really hard from behind.  Keep in mind that this is all within 5 or so seconds.  I fell over her then got up real fast calling the name of the man hoping he'd realize what he just did.  Instead I see him running towards an object on the ground, a thick stick.  As he picked it up, I thought "DANG IT,  he's going to throw that big ol' stick at me,  thats gonna hurt."  I then noticed he started to move in my direction.  My thoughts changed to "He's gonna hit me with that stick, and that'll hurt worse!"  Sooo I made the decision to turn and run.  That decision didn't make it much further than my brain before I changed my mind.  As he stepped up into the Ute, the object in his hand hit one of the pillars, and I distinctly heard steel hit concrete.  This time my thought read "Mwasamwas!  Adrenaline kicked in as everything started happening in slow motion.  By this time it was pretty dark so everything was like in silhouettes.  As he got closer and raised his arm, I could clearly see the shape of the MACHETE in his hand.  I lunged forward raising my left hand towards his right wrist.  I figured if I moved first, I'd throw him off.  I crashed into him, left arm locked and grabbed his wrist with my hand forcing his swing straight down.  His head was low so I happened to elbow him in the face and I scrambled for his head with my right arm.  He raised his right arm to strike again.  I missed his wrist this time since I was so close, but his wrist hit my wrist which stopped most of the motion.  I got his head though, got his wrist, and was able to push and hold his head down and lock his arm.  He pushed against me and I got backed up into a pillar with my left shoulder.  I spun and fell out of the Ute and into the sand, I've still got that hold though.  Elder Blauser ripped the guy off me and I said "Get the knife, Get the knife"  He pulled the knife from the guy and I went to wrestle the man to the ground.  Shortly he was on his knees,  Blauser had handed off the machete and was moving to help when the Branch President grabbed the guys other arm.  I switched hands, grabbed his right wrist with my right hand, and pulled it out while putting my left hand on his shoulder blade, and with Elder Blauser's help pitched the man forward onto his face in the sand.  He then started to say some really bad things about our moms so I put more weight on his back so he had to speak his words through the sand,  Needless to say, I was ticked.  Fortunately though, I was more surprised and offset than anything as to supersede my temper which is why I didn't consider it worth while to "vindicate" myself by beating him, but oh how much I did want to sock him in the face.   Some more locals came over and seized him and took him away. (I don't know where they were during this whole time)  I stood up and the world came back to me.  A little kid came up and handed me my scripture case.  I tried not to think about the crowd and checked myself out.  Bruise on my left wrist, minor scrapes on both wrists, and a small scuff on my elbow.  Chuukeese smackdown number 2.  Lets just hope that the old adage isn't true that it's three strikes and your out!!

Well, I was completely serious when I said that nothing else happened this week.  When people die out here, funerals last over a week and everyone is always gone to them.  I love you guys, and I hope to hear from you soon.  All is well here in Chuuk.  Don't worry!! No one can fight the Lord and win!  Much love.  Take it easy!

Elder Lapeyrouse

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this Elder didn't even tell us about this. I can only image what you all are thinking about when you read this, being back in the states. It can be a little crazy here in Chuuk but like Elder Lapeyrouse said "No one can fight the Lord" He is right and I will testify that these Elders are doing his work and he is here watching over each one of them. But ALWAYS keep them on the temple prayer roll and in your daily prayers. We love your son he is a great missionary. Elder and Sister Tiffany

    ReplyDelete