Monday, October 4, 2010

week 2 and only 1 week until the islands



Week 2...or should I say month 6. I feel like I've been here for the longest time. But on a cooler note...I'm going to Tokyo!!! We got our flight plan the other day and we have a two hour layover in Japan. We leave Oct 12 and we are all real excited. Secondly, I have sooooo much junk food right now. I bought myself some to stock up for conference (Friday) then I got a package from Edye off of Dear elder (Friday), then I got a huge package with even more candy, Cheerwine, and my jersey (Saturday). I guess ya'll are tryin to fatten me up or something before all the fish. Thanks for it all though, I reall appreciate it. One of the Nutella bottles is already gone. So, important lesson #1 this week: never be out of tune with the spirit, It saved my districts lives. Haha scared yet, well I was, We nearly got hit by a freakin car. On our way to gym to play some v-ball we have to cross the road that seperates the MTC and the Provo Temple grounds. You push the button and wait till the light turns red and it gives you 20 seconds to cross. No chirps because they are redoing the intersection. We usually like to run across, or  jog or someting quick as soon as we can go. So here we are sitting there, button pushed and waiting to cross, 12 of us gathered on the corner. One of our guys gets the random impression to ask a random woman if she was a teacher here, and for some reason her answer caught the intrest of all 12 nineteen year old men. Her answer was no I believe, but she proceded to ask us where we were going and we kinda gathered round to tell her. At that moment we hear tires screech as a big ole Durango blows through the intersection way too fast and swerves and hits a BYU grounds truck that was turning into the MTC. We look back at the timer and it reads 8. So we figured about 9 or so seconds went by as we watched the aftermath. Which still leaves us what....2....3 seconds of red light before the Durango entered the intersection. Heres the DL, The durango, tried to catch the light so they sped up, looked at the light and noticed it was not yellow, but red and was already going too fast to stop before they went through the intersection. Had we not been captivated by the answer "no" or had one of the Elders not spoken to her, the BYU truck wouldn't have been the only thing hit. Important lesson #2, we teach people, not lessons. Our purpose is to invite others to come unto to Christ...(big long statement) but the main idea is that we DON'T teach what we know. WE teach what they NEED. We are supposed to be constantly thinking what does this person need to DO, in order to FEEL the spirit, and learn what they need to KNOW. So getting to know the investigator is the first thing you do. In one of our mock investigator situations, Elder Butler and I have not yet invited him to Baptism, he's not ready, but we are teaching out of PMG lesson 3. Some people you can invite to Baptism on the first time and some you can't. It depends on their needs. I know PMG says to but the MTC is trying to emphasise that memorizing lessons was Missionary Guide junk that we don't do anymore and that lessons should be spirit directed. D&C 84:85. We should study all of the lessons and memorize the points in each lesson and then teach according to their needs. Obvioulsy you're not going to teach the law of tithing in your first meeting, you might not even cover the restoration.  You might jump stright into the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. The big kicker is getting them to read the B.O.M. The introduction and Moroni 10:3-5 explain the BOM and what will happen if you read and pray. Usually that is our biggest do, be bold and teach from it. If they do it sincerely, they can't deny it. Its crazy how I've now got tons of scriptures for the first lesson memorized after only a few lessons. I am very excited to get out to the Islands and teach the people and hopefully learn a language or three. My new fav verse of a hymn is verse 7 of How Firm a Foundation. Take care and I love you all, My laundrys done and I want to go eat some plastic eggs. Godspeed and Kia Kaha

No comments:

Post a Comment