Sunday, October 17, 2010

Lost....or at least thats how it feels....

All this place needs is a magical hot tub, a crazy french lady, a couple of ruins that you never find out about, a couple of polar bears, and a smoke monster. I am not completely, but close, LOST. So I don't even know where to begin, I'll kinda summerize real quick.
 
Trip to Guam:...Have I mentioned I hate long airplane trips? especially with loads of Japanese school children that scream as you hit turbulence and talk loudly in Japanese. ALL of them. So Guam, pretty ghetto outside of the base and Barrigada. the South part I've heard isn't too bad. We got to Guam around Midnight, Slept in one of the rooms then had orientation the next day (when she called you). Orientation lasted all day and we just basically enjoyed our last bit together before we knew we might split up. That evening we got our assignments basically like opening another mission call. All of the missionaries on Guam were there in the mission homes living room. (which is super nice by the way). and we got individual letters telling us of our first assignments. Elder Butler went first. He opened his "blah blah blah Chuuk". Everyone cheers. I'm next " You have been assigned to labor in the Utwe area of the beautiful island of Kosrae" And I'm thinking, wait, wasn't that the small one? Elder Criswell to Saipan which is breathtakenly georgous. Valinotti to Guam, Corn to Pohnpei, and Cutler to Yap. Then we put our things in the car and set out with a set of guam missionaries to go to some appointments and then leave in the morning. I wasn't even on the ground for a day before I was back on a plane!! So Guam, yeah muy ghetto. Like some of the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 maps are similar to it. Glad I'm not staying there. And I'm sure you know about Kosrae already because the letter was CC'd to you, Bishop, and President Marsh.
 
 
Three plane rides later and a few days and I'm sitting at one of the 4 computers on this island. Kosrae is about 42 square miles. There is only one road that circles the outside of the island. So I can always see the beach right?? Tu wo! Thats good morning in Kosraean. This place....well let me just say I have no idea how power and cars got here. Its a jungle, I live in a freakin jungle of an island. We do have a house, and a car. which is better than the lawyers and doctors on the island have. Most people here live in shacks or straight concrete houses that are basically one room with a small wall dividing the floor space where you normally sit and where you sleep. No furniture. Some have TV's and surprisingly I heard Justin Bieber on the radio of a car passin by the other day. How this gets out here I am still at a loss. Our house, our whole house can fit in our living room back home. The only ac is in our bedroom and the rest of the house is soooooo hot. Its like 88 year round and 100% humidity. Guess I asked for it. The people here are so nice and just friendly, too bad I can barely understand them. A lot of people speak enough english to communicate and some speak a lot. They always smile and I try to speak Kosrean. My companion Elder Rufus is Marshallese and I can barely understand his english at times. Many people here are too poor to be able to feed us so we feed our selfs. Rice and Chicken and vegatables. Some families will feed us though as I've been told so I haven't avoided fish yet. Elder Rufus doesn't have a license so I get to drive our Toyota Corolla. There are really only too rules here. Don't hit anyone, and honk as you go around a car going slow or stopped in your lane, but you can't go real fast because the kids and dogs just play in the street. and people too. They aren't scared Elder Rufus was telling me. I was like I don't care how scared you may not be, cars can't smell fear. Feel free to send me stuff similar to what you sent in the MTC. I also need the USB cord to my camera.  I can't wear lavalavas. Apparently thats a Polynesian thing, it's actually a somewhat gay thing to do here, so pants and shirts for me. I'll get a picture with a machette. Or however you spell it.
 
When I get home, I imagine I will be very bitter toward the American lifestyle. These people live life for family and personal growth and well being. They do not worry about money and I feel like they will rub off on me before I leave. I really want to learn this language so that I may be able to share the Gospel with them. I felt the Spirit in the lessons so much in the MTC, and I am really sad that I cannot teach in English, but we teach the people in the language of their hearts. I also really miss all of you. My friends, my family, music, the Tundra, my MTC district, and just a sense of belonging. They welcomed me well here. A family we went to see my first day have made me some handcrafts. A necklace, a headband and a bracelet. Woven with some material and shells. Banana trees and coconut trees are everywhere.
 
Watching Conference again (the delay here is so long we just watched it).  It reminded me that last time I was with my District from the MTC and some of the talks on gratitude and family really hit home this time around.
 
I know I will grow to love it here and I can't wait till I can speak fluently.  Send packages and letters directly to this address for now:
 
Elder Braydon Craig Lapeyrouse
P.O. Box 186
Tofol, Kosrae, FSM 96944
 
By the way Kosrae is pronunced "Kos-rye" with the "o" like a "uh"
 
I was told I will end up on probably Guam before my misison is up, maybe sooner, and maybe a different island. Which means  I  will learn some Chuukese as well. Every missionary on Guam must now learn Chuukese.
 
Get on Facebook and write "I'm LOST...write me. @Caitlin Hoffman @Aaron Hiatt @Adam Hiatt @Kristin Fortenberry  @Yvonne Lai @ Taylor Nicholls and many others. The address is in my white profile box or in the comments."
 

 
I love you all and wish you well
-Elder Lapeyrouse

No comments:

Post a Comment